“Since discovering Encaustics I have been captivated with the molten wax and all its many possibilities. Its’ translucence, the ability to create texture, the carving back through layers, and the ability to create three dimensional forms.
When I begin a piece I may start with a found object that I want to build a story around. Or with a memory of a time or place that I wish to preserve by melding images together.
I apply my first layers of wax on a surface of wood,metal, paper, clay, or even fabric. As the wax is altered and built, it changes forms and creates
surprises along the way. The scent of the ever moving hot wax and the meditation of the burn becomes an all encompassing experience.
It keeps me forever fascinated”
Originally from Colorado, I moved to New England after marriage
• BFA Swain School of Design, New Bedford, MA
• Art Director and Designer in the New England Area.
• MAE Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, R.I.
• Taught Design at the high school and college level.
This academic schedule allowed me to pursue more time for painting and an opportunity to become more involved with my community.
• Commissioned by President Bill Clintons’ advance team to create mural, featured in “FOCUS “a German magazine.
• Co-owner of Facets Gallery in the King Phillip Mills of Fall River where a large community of artists worked.
• Received an Earthwatch Mustard Seed Grant to work on an archeological dig / South Shields England/ Arbeia
• State Cultural Council Grant/ awarded for mural commissioned for the Fall River Chamber Of Commerce
Upon moving to Florida I continue to paint, exhibit and work with the community
• Vice President of the Punta Gorda Historic Mural Society.
• Co-ordinator of Go Gallery at the Visual Arts Center of Punta Gorda
• Member of SWFL WAX a chapter of the International Encaustic Artists.